Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Travels - Gandhinagar - Part 1

Hello everyone,

Ever since I gave my resignation from my company, the bosses seem to have realised that there will be no one to look into the queries, proposals and trainings related to JSF, Java 5 and other seemingly non-preferred technologies within the Java domain. All others in the team are now working on some high end products like IBM e-Commerce or Portals like Vignette and Weblogic.

So my bosses decided to send me to a few places to give training on JSF. Hence I have been to Kolkata and Gandhinagar. While Kolkata was a 6 day affair, Gandhinagar was relatively short for only 2 days. Nonetheless it was a nice trip and I will write about it in this blog

There is a project in Gandhinagar that uses JSF. However, they were facing a lot of problems related to it. So it was decided that I would go there and train them on JSF. Little did they know that I have also never worked on any JSF project and hence even I would be having the same problems that any normal developer would have with JSF. But there is a difference. I do have the concepts of JSF quite clear and hence I do know some of the work-arounds for some of the problems.

The training days were decided to be on 8th and 9th June 2007. I decided to take the morning flight to Ahmedabad by JET Airways. This is the third time I have travelled by a airplane and I am loving every bit of travelling by a plane. Since I was travelling in JET after they went for a makeover, I expected them to sport their new uniforms and new things. But I was disappointed to see the same old dresses and style. However their service is quite good. Since the flight is only of 45 minutes, you can somehow pass the time in eating the snacks and looking out of the window or reading some magazines or newspapers. But if it is some long distance journey like Kolkata, then you will get bored quickly. This is where Kingfisher is really one up against JET.

The food was quite good and the journey also went off quite well. From an airplane, Mumbai looks stunning - Made up of disparate islands held together by some bridges. At night it looks even more beautiful under the lights. Anybody coming to India can easily say that it is the most lighted city in India.

In contrast, Ahmedabad looked no more than a small town from the plane while it was landing. Maybe I was comparing it with Mumbai and that was the mistake. Anyways, the Ahmedabad airport is quite decent and there were no problems in getting out of the Sardar Patel Airport of Ahmedabad.

This is the end of the first part of the series on Gandhinagar travels. In the next few posts I will be be detailing on the remaining part of my stay at the place

No comments: