Wednesday, June 20, 2007

My Travels - Gandhinagar - Part 3

Now that I had reached the office well before time, I decided to explore the area. Good roads, few people roaming around here and there. Once inside the office, you are into the company land. so now newness around. I decided to straight away go to the training room and do some surfing.



Soon, the trainees arrived. Most of them were straight from the ILP and hence it was difficult for me to skip some of the topics. But I nevertheless covered the topics and they were able to comprehend most of it (Or atleast I assume so :-P) The training room over there was quite big as compared to the ones I have seen before : quite spacious with all the latest software. There were more than 30 trainees here and hence some of the machines had to be shared.

An important part of any office is its support infrastructure like coffee machines and canteen,etc. This office had many options at the coffee machines: Lemon Tea, Sugarfree tea/coffee, Masala Tea and IceTea. I was amazed by the options and gleefully had Lemon and Masala Tea. Both tasted very good. The canteen food was also very good and cheap. For Rs 35, you got 2 sabjis, dal, rotis, rice, papad, dahi/buttermilk and salad. The best part was that you could take any or all of this any number of times for the amount you paid initially. The quality of this food was also very good.

My stay was arranged at A6 and A7 bungalows in the same infocity campus. Before you assume something else, let me clarify that I got a room in that bungalow and not the entire bungalow. I must admit that TCS provides very good TQs (Transit Quarters) with all the facilities like an attached bathroom and good food, AC, TV, etc. But I also assume that this must be the case in any Big 5 IT companies. Nevertheless, you must appreciate the fact that your company does care about you when you are on some visit.

The food at the TQ was also good and tasty. I always knew that the food in Gujarat is very good and I was right in that respect. The TQ also had wireless fidelity and hence I was able to access my mails and orkut as well. On the first evening I had to walk the highway to reach my TQ but the next morning the TQ housekeeper showed me another path so that I could reach my office in only 5 mins.

I think I have described quite a lot about my office and TQ and the place in general. In the next and the last part, I will write about Akshardham which is an important highlight of my stay in Gandhinagar.

No comments: