Wednesday, July 20, 2005

War of the newspapers

As I have nothing worthwhile to do in my vacation, I pass time by writing blogs, reading books, playing keyboard (yes I have started to learn that) and sports, watching TV (it really sucks these days with no good programs) and of course reading newspapers.

In the last few months, I suppose everyone must have watched the hoardings of various new papers making their way into Mumbai. Mumbai Mirror, Hindustan times and DNA being the prime ones.

I am used to reading the Times of India and its supplements for years now and when they started giving Mumbai Mirror free for few days I decided to check it out as well. But I wasn’t impressed because it is simply another variant of Mid-day. No doubt, why it brings different offers all the time to boost its publication. But it is bound to get a lead early in the sales as it comes from the stable of Bennet and Coleman.

Secondly there is Hindustan times which is similar to the others in the fray. It tries to be different here and there, more graphic at places. But otherwise it has nothing new to offer. It had a pathetic ad on air and didn’t publicize much through hoardings and other medium. Maybe it believes that it doesn’t need that kind of publicity.

Finally we have the DNA Daily News and Analysis from Zee media conglomerate. Well it has spent the maximum in publicity (a cool Rs.60 crores…). There are hoardings placed all over Mumbai asking you to select among options. It had a marketing team which must have ensured that a salesperson would go to each house. This person would ask various questions regarding the functions of an ideal newspaper. (I wanted to say that don’t try to be one since it is impossible) but I must admit that it has tried to be different from the others in certain respects. Let’s see how it turns out in others like content when it does come.

One thing is for sure that when we have a lot to choose from, it automatically leads to competition and hence to efficiency and better outputs. Finally the consumer is benefited from this.

Joke of the day:
A mother is waiting anxiously for her son on the last day of term. “At last you are home. Where is your report?”
“I haven’t got it.”
“How come?”
“I lent it to my friend.”
“And why does he need it?”
“He wants to scare his parents with it.”

No comments: