Sunday, May 20, 2007

Some updates regarding my MBA

Hello everyone,

It has been a while now that I had posted something. SO today I will just let everyone know what I was upto in the [ast 1 month.

I had GDs and PIs lined up in February and March. So I was busy waiting for their results to come. Of all the interviews that I gave (well there werent many when you look at some of my friends' schedules ), I felt I had completely messed up the NITIE interview. Even the first round of SPJain was not so great. I didnt get much of a chance to showcase my abilities in that interview. I wasnt so positive about these two. But when the results of those interviews came, I was surprised. I had expected that I would not get a call for the second round of SPJain interview. But I got a call for the same. Similarly for NITIE I had expected that I would be somewhere in the waitlist. But I was in the final admission list of NITIE.

Now the second round of SPJain interview was far better than my first round. We had a GD in that round as well and I contributed well in that GD. I was able to answer quite a few questions.
So when the final list of admissions from SPJain came, I was shocked to see my name not even present in the waitlist. Such are the strange things that happen. Good surprises come from the least expected places. I had not expected NITIE to be very positive but that was the only positive thing that happened.

I also had two IIM calls : B and K. But I had got these calls since I had applied under OBC category. I had very good percentiles in two sections but missed out on VA section. When I appeared for the GDs and PIs at TIME as a part of practice sessions, I realised that I am quite capable of getting into the IIMs. I went ahead and appeared for the GDs and PIs for both the IIMs. They went quite well and I was postive that I would get into one of them under the OBC category. One disclaimer here: The OBC category students have almost the same cutoffs as the general category students and so claiming that they dilute the quality of IIMs will be like an insult to those students.

Unfortunately, the SC brought out a stay on that OBC quota and with it, my dreams of being in an IIM were washed away. Anyway, I am looking forward to joining NITIE unless something positive happens which is quite unlikely.

There is one more twist to this tale. I also face the prospect of landing up in JBIMS. Now that is a also a very good institution. It has put me in a dilemma : JB or NITIE.

As of now, my inclination is towards NITIE but as the days pass by, the urge to go to JB is also increasing. Lets see what I decide. Till that time, its bbye from me.

Comments as always are welcome. Also if you like please suggest your preference for the MBA institute: NITIE or JB.

3 comments:

The Junkie said...

Dude!!
U r already in!!!
Congrats for bracing NITIE
its time you move on professionally in life. N i know with your hardwork you will achieve big things ahead

And all the best for JB. If you ask me I will say NITIE over JB, as the course there sounds better

and thanks a lot for commenting on my posts

Sumo said...

Hey dude...a post after a long time...sorry I m commenting after ages. I didnt chk ur blog for a long time.

Congrats on getting into NITIE. As for whether NITIE or JB is better, teaching wise NITIE has better faculty. JB is hyped mainly coz of its alumni who keep up the institute's image in the job market. Finally, you have to decide whether you want to restrict yourself to a technical management job or keep the option of switching over to a completely new career!!!

BTW, I m sorry to mention this here, but I couldnt resist it. U r free to retaliate. If the OBC cutoffs were so close to the general ones, why have the OBC quota in the first place. But, I do agree with ur statement that the students taken under the quota do not dilute the quality of the IIMs.

darshan said...

@Sumo

Its ok sir...each one is entitled to have his opinion. My point was that if they were so much against reservations, why not remove reservations completely? Why have it in the first place?

The after effects of not having such reservations were observed in Rajasthan recently. The gujjar community started agitating to register itself as a ST from their existing status of OBC. This is a dangerous trend and can have grave effects in future. It has set a bad example for others to follow.